Robert L. Meckelnburg, MD, FACP, FACNP
Specialist in Osteoporosis for Over 12 Years
Current Position: Senior, Department of Medicine, Section of Nuclear Medicine, Wilmington, Delaware, President, “OsteoRec”,
Christiana Care Health System, Osteoporosis Health Center, Newark, Delaware
400 Christiana Medical Center
Newark, DE 19702
Education: 1952 B.S., Ursinus College
1956 M.D., Thomas Jefferson University Medical School
Postgraduate Training and Fellowship Appointments: 1956-1957 Intern, Thomas Jefferson University Medical School, Philadelphia, PA 1957-1959 Captain, Medical Corp., United States Air Force
1959-1962 Resident, Internal Medicine, Wayne State University and Detroit Receiving Hospital, Detroit, MI
Specialty Certification: 1963 American Board of Internal Medicine
1972 American Board of Nuclear Medicine
Faculty Appointments: 1976- Associate Professor, Delaware Technical, and Community College
1970- Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, and Medical School
Hospital and Administrative Appointments: 1963-1965 Investigator, American Cancer Society, Delaware Division
1974-1982 Teaching Staff, Oncologic Service, Medical Center of Delaware
1972-1994 Section Chief, Nuclear Medicine, Department of Nuclear Medicine, Medical Center of Delaware
1972-1982 Attending Chief, Medicine, and Oncology, Medical Center of Delaware and St. Francis Hospital
1982- Senior Attending, Nuclear Medicine, Medical Center of Delaware
Memberships in Professional and Scientific Societies:
American Medical Association Society of Nuclear Medicine (President, Mid-Eastern Chapter, 1966-1967)
American College of Physicians (Fellow, 1966)
American College of Nuclear Physicians (President: 1998-1999)
(Editor, “Scanner”, Official Publication, 1981-1983)
(Publications Committee, 1982-1996)
(Practice Management and Economics Committee, 1986-)
(By-Laws Committee, 1984-1988)
(Government Affairs Committee, 1986-)
(Technologies Affairs Committee, 1985-)
(Nominating Committee, 1990-1999)
(Speakers Bureau, “Radiation Information Network”, 1986-)
American Federation for Clinical Research
Civil Aviation Medical Association
Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society
American College of Physician Executives
Medicare/Pennsylvania Blue Cross and Blue Shield
(Professional Standards Review Board, 1989-1991)
Nuclear Medicine Technologies Certification Board
(Board of Directors, 1989-1998)
American Society of Internal Medicine (President, Delaware Chapter, 1974-1975)
Delaware Society of Nuclear Medicine (President, 1978-1979) (Secretary-Treasurer, 1979-)
American Cancer Society, Delaware Division (Board of Directors, New Castle County Unit, 1976-1982, 1993-)
(President, New Castle County Unit, 1977-1978, 1999-2001)
(Chairman, Professional Education Committee, 1980-1982)
(President, Delaware Chapter, 1982-1984)
(President, Delaware Chapter, 1995-1996)
Delaware Professional Standards Review Organization (Board of Directors, 1978-1983) (President, 1982-1983)
Delaware Academy of Medicine (President, 1982-1984)
State of Delaware (Board of Medical Practice, 1984-1991)
Medical Center of Delaware (Staff Council, 1988-1992) (Chairman, Radiation Safety Committee, 1983-)
Lectures: 1970 “Lung Perfusion Changes Due to Hyperbaric Exposure as Demonstrated by Lung Scanning” National Society of Nuclear Medicine, Washington, DC
1972 “Pathology of the Aquatic Environment” Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington DC
1990 “Osteoporosis – The Silent Thief” Channel 22, Access Delaware Program, Wilmington, DE
1993 “Management of The Nuclear Medicine Team” Portland V.A. Medical Center, Portland, OR
1992 Practice Enhancement Workshop on Managed Care, Moderator and Director American College of Nuclear Physicians, Washington, DC
1995 Managed Care Symposium, Moderator and Director American College of Nuclear Physicians, Washing, DC
1995 Managed Care, “Evolution and Involution”, Moderator and Director Society of Nuclear Medicine, Minneapolis, MN
1996 Managed Care, “The New Millennium:, Moderator and Director Society of Nuclear Medicine, Washington, DC
1. Meckelnburg, R.L.: Clinical Value of Generator Produced 87m Strontium. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 5: 929-935, 1964.
2. Meckelnburg, R.L.: The Resin Sponge T3 Uptake Test. Delaware Medical Journal 38, No. 5: 103-106, 1965.
3. Mecklenburg, R.L.: External Localization of Intracranial Lesions. Delaware Medical Journal 38, No. 1: 1-6, 1966.
4. Meckelnburg, R.L.: To Dive or Not to Dive, Medical Evaluation for Scuba Diving. Delaware Medical Journal 44, No. 3: 91, 1972.
5. Rickels, K, Gordon, P, Mecklenburg, RL, Whalen, E, Sabolosky, L, Dion, H: Iprindole in Neurotic Depressed General Practice Patients, A Controlled Study. Psychosomatics Vol IX, 1968.
6. Sagar, VV, Piccone, J, Mecklenburg, RL: Gallium Scanning in the Diagnosis of Liver Disease. Maryland State Medical Journal Dec, 43, 1975.
7. Sagar, VV, Rothfield, B. Lockett, F, Meckelnburg, RL: Detection of Bone Trauma after Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation by Bone Scanning. Maryland Medical Journal Nov, 1977.
8. Meckelnburg, RL: Medical Requirements for Scuba. Delaware Medical Journal 50, No. 1, 25-28, 1978.
9. Sagar, VV, Piccone, J, Meckelnburg, RL: Dynamic Flow Study in Warthin’s Tumor of Parotid Gland. Clinical Nuclear Medicine Nov, 1977.
10. Sagar, VV, Meckelnburg, RL, Piccone, J: Resolution of Bone Scan Changes in Hypertrophic Pulmonary Osteoarthropathy (HPO) in Untreated Carcinoma of the Lung. Clinical Nuclear Medicine 3, No. 12, 472-475, 1978.
11. Sagar, VV, DelDuca, V, Jr., Meckelnburg, RL: Spleen Scan in Histiocytic Lymphoma – Response to Therapy. Clinical Nuclear Medicine 4, No. 1, 18-19, 1979.
12. Meckelnburg, RL: Bone Scanning and Cancer. Delaware Medical Journal 51, No. 7, 377-378, 1979.
13. Sagar, VV, Meckelnburg, RL, Chaikin, H: Bone Scan in Rhabdomyolysis. Clinical Nuclear Medicine 5, No. 7, 1980.
14. Meckelnburg, RL: Mechanism and Detection of Osteoporosis. Delaware Medical Journal 57, No. 6, 355-358, 1985.